Back to top


Click here to go back

Corporate returns are due March 15

Posted by CJ Spady Posted on Mar 04 2012

If you are one of many self employed business folks in Marin County, you might have incorporated your business. If so, your 2011 corporate income tax filing deadline is just around the corner, March 15, 2012. If you aren't ready with your 2011 information, this deadline is easy to manage and extend if you are an S Corporation. If you are a regular corporation, then things get a little more difficult.

The penalties for not filing these returns (or extending) timely are getting more expensive and more aggressively enforced. So if you fall into this category and are not sure, its a good time to check in to make sure things are in order to handle the deadline.

Also, the deadline for paying the first estimated income tax voucher for corporations is April 17, 2012. Many will simply need to pay the minimum $800. If your S Corp has profits of more than $60k, then the estimated payments will continue for the year and possibly be more than $800 on April 17th.

Of course, if you need help in this areana, feel free to give us a ring!

Reporting HSA contributions for S Corp owner/shareholders on form W2

Posted by CJ Spady Posted on Feb 22 2012

With all the changes with reporting on W2's and 1099's this year, its not a surprise that what I'm about to describe is becoming a common error that we are seeing as we prepare taxes this year.  Wanting to avoid the same issue next year, we're bloggin in the moment......

Who does this issue impact:  Shareholder/employees of S Corporations where the corporation contributes to HSA's for their shareholder employee. If this might apply to you, your boss, your client (if you are keeping the books)  or someone you know, then keep reading......otherwise, there are much better things to be reading about, trust me!

Background:  When an S Corp pays health insurance premiums and HSA contributions on behalf of their shareholder/employee, then we all know we need to include wages, health insurance premiums and the HSA contributions paid during the year in box 1 of the W2.  Its that annoying year end adjustment we have to make that sometimes kicks up withholdings (when it really shouldn't).

The issue:  Many W2's this year are coming across to us as we prepare tax returns with the HSA contribution amount reported on the Form W2, box 12 code W.  Do not use box 12 code W to report the HSA contributions made to these shareholder/employees.  Please!  That's not what that box is for. For shareholder/employess, the amount of HSA contributions should be shown in box 14, just like the shareholder health insurance premiums, with a description along side.  Using box 12 code W really makes a mess of things on this side.

Why is this an issue:  S Corp shareholder/employees are treated like partners in a partnership when it comes to this type of benefit.  So there are unique rules that apply. Think of them as quasi employees (no, that's not crazy employees--quasi employees.)

What about the other employees of the S Corp that the company contributes to the HSA, do we use box 12 code W?  If you read the instructions for Form W2 on the IRS website, it can be confusing.  The IRS instructions read that you should use box 12 code W if you don't have a reasonable basis to believe at the time of payment that the HSA contribution made to the non-shareholder employee is not treatable as a tax exempt frindge benefit of employment.

When in doubt, do call a CPA or your payroll company to confirm as your specific facts and circumstances may play a vital part in determing what you should do.  This is a common Marin issue because Marin has so many small businesses, many of which are S Corporations.

Hope this helps! Call us if you want to know more. 

Issuing Forms 1099 Misc--extra reasons to take this seriously for 2011

Posted by CJ Spady Posted on Feb 16 2012

Heads up if you have a business and you haven't dealt with this yet.  You could be behind the 8 ball, but there is still time to get out from under the problem.  

The IRS has been playing with how they can increase "compliance"--making sure everyone is filing their tax returns and paying their fair share of taxes.  A report issued a while back issued by the GAO indicated that a huge number of folks aren't filing tax returns at all. So that has the IRS looking for ways to get everyone to file returns. And what we are communicating in this blog talks about a IRS change that could impact you as the "payor" of money that needs to show up on someone's tax return. They think that if they put pressure on the payor, they'll get more recepients to comply.

Long story short, if you have a business, are a sole proprietor or are otherwise self employed and you paid anyone or any other unincorporated business $600 or more for services or rents in 2011 in the course of your trade or business, then you'll be required to affirmatively state on your 2011 return if you had any payments that met the requirements to send out Forms 1099 Misc and then if you say yes, then you'll need to affirmatively state that you did send them out.  When we sign our returns, we are signing under perjury something to take serious.

Commonly overlooked:  home office rent.  If you are a renter and you pay a person or an LLC for your rent and if you end up deducting $600 or more of your rent for "home office expense", then you need to send your landlord a Form 1099 Misc.

When is the deadline for filing these forms?   Technically, the deadline to send these forms out was January 31, 2012 for payments made in 2011.  However, you don't have to send a summary of all forms to the IRS until either February 28th (or March 15th if you use an electronic filing service.)  So if you think you have a few you should have sent and haven't sent these out to the folks you paid yet, you can jump on this now and take action.  The deadline that is enforced more regularly is the IRS deadline (Feb 28 or March 15).....not the January 31 deadline (well, that's the way its been over time.)

We've been filing these forms for our clients since 2012 began.  If you think this applies to you and need help, give us a ring.  You can find out contact info on our website

This blog is generated to communicate topics in a general nature. Each person and business is unique in its situation, facts and circumstances. So nothing in this blog should be taken to be advice that you can specifically rely on without further research into how it applies to you. In otherwords, we'll be giving you ideas--not specific tax advice.